The following information is to be sought:
- Status of knowledge of the freshwater fauna;
- Existence of conservation plans;
- Information on major aquatic habitats or sites within the country;
- Current major threats to species;
- Future potential threats to species;
- Contact(s) for further information.
|Geography and Climate
Latvia is located in Eastern Europe, bordering the Baltic Sea, between Estonia and Lithuania.
Area - comparative: slightly larger than West Virginia.
Climate is maritime; wet, moderate winters. Terrain consists of low plain. Elevation extreme has the lowest point in Baltic Sea 0 m and highest point in Gaizinkalns 312 m. Natural resources are minimal; amber, peat, limestone, dolomite. Land use: arable land: 27%, permanent crops: 0%, permanent pastures: 13%, forests and woodland: 46%,
Irrigated land: 160 sq km (1993 est.).
Environment—current issues: air and water pollution because of a lack of waste conversion equipment; Gulf of Riga and Daugava River heavily polluted; contamination of soil and groundwater with chemicals and petroleum products at military bases.
Ref. Anonymous, 1999