The following information is to be sought:
- Status of knowledge of the freshwater fauna;
- Existence of conservation plans;
- Information on major aquatic habitats or sites within the country;
- Current major threats to species;
- Future potential threats to species;
- Contact(s) for further information.
|Geography and Climate
Gibraltar is located in Southwestern Europe, bordering the Strait of Gibraltar, which links the Mediterranean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean, on the southern coast of Spain. Area comparatively about 11 times the size of The Mall in Washington, DC. Total land boundary is
1.2 km, border country is Spain 1.2 km.
Climate in Gibraltar is Mediterranean with mild winters and warm summers. Terrain consists of a narrow coastal lowland borders the Rock of Gibraltar. Elevation extreme has the lowest point in Mediterranean Sea 0 m and highest point in Rock of Gibraltar 426 m.
Environment—current issues: limited natural freshwater resources, so large concrete or natural rock water catchments collect rain water
Geography—note: strategic location on Strait of Gibraltar that links the North Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea.
Ref. Anonymous, 1999